Critical infrastructure companies from utilities and energy to rail transportation require real-time operations monitoring and control capability with the highest levels of security and performance. Scenarios include:
- Distributed Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) networks used to monitor and control water and wastewater facilities, oil and gas production operations, oil and gas pipelines and electrical substations;
- Remote video monitoring and surveillance used to ensure the security of critical infrastructure installations and locations;
- Field force automation and communications;
- Track circuiting, interlocking, axle counting and other railroad voice and data communications.
As information gathering and control demands increase, the reliability, capacity and protocol limitations of existing communications infrastructure is constraining organizations’ ability to meet performance, cost and security objectives. One of the primary means by which organizations have chosen to improve their capabilities is to begin migrating applications from TDM and proprietary protocols to IP because it is more economical and scales better.
Of course, such migration affects the entire network, including the TDM-based microwave equipment that has historically been used to interconnect facilities and backhaul communications and monitoring traffic. While this equipment can still carry the legacy TDM traffic that will persist for many years to come, new equipment is needed to handle both the new protocol and the increased capacity requirements that go along with the move to IP.
Exalt understands the technical and financial challenges involved in migrating existing TDM microwave infrastructure to IP/Ethernet. Designed to address just such a scenario, all Exalt radio systems support both TDM and Ethernet, natively, and can allocate bandwidth between the two in whatever combination current and future traffic demands require. Exalt systems include a rich feature set that make ideal for a tremendous range of security, monitoring and control applications:
- All Exalt radios support 99.999% guaranteed user throughput, ensuring that microwave connections will never be a weak link in the network;
- All Exalt systems, regardless of band, deliver the low, constant latency needed to support latency-sensitive applications like TDM voice and remote relay control;
- Systems with capacity ranging from 25 Mbps to 1 Gbps provide numerous alternatives for meeting site-specific and application-specific throughput requirements;
- An asymmetric throughput capability of up to 80:20 maximizes bandwidth efficiency for highly unidirectional applications such as surveillance and monitoring; and
- AES encryption secures sensitive traffic with the highest encryption capability available, minimizing the likelihood of data breaches.
With Exalt, companies can eliminate the backhaul variable from their complex IP migration equation because they can be sure that Exalt will deliver carrier-class capacity, performance and availability to all parts of their network, both now and in the future.